Monday, September 12, 2011

Old Friends

On Friday, I went to a nearby town to meet my friend and old classmate, Dixie. She was home from Maryland for just a few days so when we got together for lunch, 3 more classmates joined us and we talked and laughed for a couple of hours reminiscing. It was a great time. Before we got in our cars and headed home,  Dixie said, "You know we probably only have 10-12 more good years in us so we better enjoy the time right now". ehhhhh! That got my attention for sure!! Well, we still had a good time but she put our future in prospective, more or less..but one never knows from day to day anyway, right? Dixie came to my house and spent the night and we chatted and laughed and chatted and laughed some more until almost 1 a.m.  Dixie and I started to kindergarten together so we have been friends for lots of years. We graduated in a class of 15 so many of us were close and we still love getting together. Now, for my big disappointment, in myself!! I didn't take one picture!!! Oh, I was so mad at myself as I had my camera in my purse and couldn't remember to take any pictures. How could I do that? Not of our lunch bunch or even Dixie and myself..could just hit myself over the head with a hammer!  I think I will make an appt. with the Dr. and have my camera permanently affixed to my hand,,,oh, wait a minute. I don't think that will work as I am planning on getting a new camera (maybe this week) and I wouldn't want to go through surgery twice, that would be a stupid move on my part..duh!! So the picture you see at the top of this post is Dixie and me. Me on the left, Dixie on the right, taken in April of 1947!! We were about 10 years old so you can figure out our real ages by yourself, aaaaah!  I didn't get to see Jim, her husband, as he was at a high school class reunion for Central HS in Sioux City, however, I did get to talk to him when Dixie called me on Saturday to tell me she had taken my car KEYS!  She thought they were her rental car keys, I guess. Thankfully, I have another set so it wasn't a big deal, she will mail them to me soon, I know.  It was a good 20 or so hours that we were together but not long enough since it had been 5 years since we had seen one another..but we do talk on the phone occasionally so that keeps us in touch.   It is so great to have a friend like Dixie, where we can just pick up where we left off even if it has been several years since we were together...Love her a lot!!!!  Do you have friends like this too?   On Sunday, I went to the Omaha Community Playhouse and saw "Becky's New Car" and laughed most of the time. It was a really good play and the actors did a great job with their characters..needless to say, my jaws actually ache today but I'm hoping all that laughing has helped to lift and firm some of the sagging muscles in my face..One can always hope!!! Sure hope you had a "Stitches" kind of weekend too!!!

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you could be with your friend!
    Keep doing the kinds of things you're doing and you will stay young at heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute---childhood friends are the best---you can pick up right where you left off....

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to spend time with my best friend of 34 years last week. Isn't it special! Glad you got to enjoy your friend.

    ReplyDelete