Friday, July 8, 2011

A Common Green Darner....



Nope, a Common Green Darner is not a darning needle, it's a Dragonfly and I have one and I like dragonflies!!  Period....A friend found this Common Green Darner in her yard and it was dead so she gave it to me..It really is a pretty dragonfly, although probably not the cream of the crop. There are many out there that have more beautiful colors on them. My CGD is a female, I'm pretty sure after looking at the pictures on the following site. I found out a lot on the Common Green Darner on this site and they have awesome pictures too. You can click here if you want to know more about them. http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/green_darner.htm . How can I become so enthralled about a dead insect? Maybe because it's wings look like gossamer. ( I heard that word somewhere and I think it sounds good and I wanted to use it!!)   The wing span is 4" and the body from head to end of tail is 3". God did a really good job on this one!!



I perched her on my African Violet, kind of like an embellishment, I believe.  And then I got to thinking when I took the pictures of the CGD about some other dragonflies that I have. Here is a little glass garden marker I made a couple of years ago. A group of us went to a stained glass shop and made these.  You start out with a blank piece of glass and decorate or design yours, however you want it. The glass I chose has an iridescent color to it and adds a lot to the piece. I liked my flowers when I got done but they needed a dragonfly coming to visit them. I really like how this turned out. It was fun, fun!!
Earlier this spring, I went to a garden open-house and bought this lavender dragonfly for my garden.  It shimmers in the sun and is very comfortable where it lives now.
And then I have this dragonfly fabric that I just HAD to have. It is Awakenings to Spring by Maywood Studio. I have a pattern that used this for the background and the top was all appliqued flowers and leaves. I waited until this fabric was SO hard to find that I searched the net for what seemed like days before I finally found it so I bought 8 yards!! That has to be about 10 years ago and I still haven't used any of it.  I guess the "hunt" was better than the "find"!! Now I think of it as almost "vintage" ;-), I find it hard to decide what I really want to do with it..do any of you ever have this problem with your stash?  I think I could use suggestions to get over this anal habit that I have with my fabric..this is my no means the only fabric that I have hoarded in my basement.  I think that about covers my dragonfly subject for today. I hoped you learned a thing or two about them and enjoyed the ride...Sew until next time, have a "Stitches" kind of day....

4 comments:

  1. Such a lovely dragon fly. Made me laugh how you used it as an embellishment on your plant. hee,hee,hee.
    As for your fabric hoarding. No worries my friend. It is written in the quilting by-laws that "A quilter shall collect and hoard anything that makes one smile when one looks at it. Using it is totally optional." :)
    Have a fun weekend!
    xx,shell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information! Dragonflies are amazing creatures. We used to love having them around our pond because they ate mosquitoes. I love their wings, too. (I have also used dead insects as embellishment. People just don't know what they're missing out on! I also love empty bird's nests, but I don't take them out of the trees. I only get the ones that have blown out of trees after storms or high winds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you liked dragonflies! i have that same fabric but mine is a creamy background and the flies are not pastel for sure. Made cloth napkins out of it to put into some metal dragonfly napkin rings that I have. ;) Must be from the same gene pool..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always liked dragonflies. I have a fabric hoarding problem too. I am trying so hard not to buy more fabric. But, I fail in that miserably.

    ReplyDelete