Friday, July 15, 2011

Civil War Blocks, 16, 17, 18, & 19


I've been getting a little sewing time in again and slowly plugging away to getting caught up with my Civil War blocks.  I've been working in the yard for several hours everyday and then trying to sew for a few hours also. Our temp today was 89-90 degrees but our heat index was about 106.  I think this was probably the most humid, muggy day we have had this summer.  Awful!!! It got too hot, too soon for me this morning, when I did come in, I was shot!! Really takes the "whatfor" out of you.. Okay, on with the Civil War blocks.
Here is my version of #16 White House
#17 Comfort Quilt

#18 Union Square
Now we come to #19 Missouri Star.  I am less than happy with this block! I have been starching all my fabrics to keep them from stretching and to keep them stable. I was hoping that when I cut them, they would be more accurate and easier to sew.  I use a 1/4" foot and check my seam allowance regularly. This block just didn't come out very good and it really frustrates me!!  Last night, I definitely was going to do this over and see if I could get it to come out better. Now, I'm thinking, I could put it in a Primitive category and just "let the hide go with the hare"!!  If I would use this one several of the points would be cut off when I join the blocks together in the end..Do you think hand piecing would be a better way to go when I re-do it?? I'm going to add it to my pile of finished blocks and when I get caught up, I will decide what to do, make it over or just leave it as it is. What would you do??  Sew until next time, have a "Stitches" kind of the rest of the day.....

2 comments:

  1. Your blocks are beautifully sewn and I adore your colour choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely blocks and fabulous fabrics! I shall look forward to seeing how this quilt grows!

    ReplyDelete