Saturday, February 19, 2011

Here's to a Lovely Day!



   We have had  unbelievable weather this week for February in Iowa. It even got up to 68 on Wednesday. A week ago the yard was covered in several inches of snow and now it's all gone and we can see the brown/green grass. I looked yesterday and my Surprise or Mystery Lilies are up about 1 1/2"..they don't know about March yet!!  Yesterday morning a friend asked if I wanted to go to Omaha with her to return some things and I debated. It was going to be so nice, should I stay home or should I go because it was so nice? Yeah, you guessed it, I went. After her errand, we went to Trader Joe's. It is a fairly new store in Omaha and I hadn't been there yet. The first thing I saw was beautiful flowers. I procrasinated for only a few  minutes and bought a pretty bouquet of little pink roses, blue statice and some little pink lilies for only $3.99! I don't think you can see the lilies but they are there. The big red rose was a freebie. I thought they were really, really nice but when I got to the check-out, the gal said "I'm not going to charge you for the flowers". And I asked, why? She said she thought they didn't look very good and I'm thinking, do I need my glasses changed? I thought they were lovely and brought them home and you can see for yourself. Oh well, I didn't argue with her about the price of them and I am really enjoying them. The little pink roses even have a very nice smell to them. Love, love, love fresh flowers in the house..then we made a stop at Hobby Lobby. A lot of their beads were on sale for 1/2 price and I thought I needed some for a project. (Phyllis, don't roll your eyes at me!)  Below  is a picture of my next quilt. Not very impressive, is it? Well, I hope the next time you see it, it will be more than a pile of strips and yardage. I have to get this pieced and ready to machine quilt as it will be a graduation gift in May. I gotta get goin'.  I have put my Phd"s on the back burner until this pile looks like something that resembles a quilt top.



I wanted to show you a picture of a quilt that my sister, Deb, made for a friend's Valentine birthday. I think it came out really nice and I'm sure the friend loves it. I have never done anything with the crocheted doilies but it would be fun to do sometime. Another one for my bucket list!
Well, until next time, I hope you are having a "Stitches" kind of day. That's my kind of day........

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers and lovely quilts. I too am so thankful for the nicer weather. JUst hope it lasts a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you are having a nice weather break! Beautiful flowers and lovely quilt! blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Des Moines just got a Trader Joe's but I haven't been there YET. My friend in CA has sent me stuff from one there that she goes to. I'm anxious to pay "Joes" a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi dpomama, Guess what, I went to Trader Joe's again already. Just stopped by briefly on Tuesday, after going to Elkhorn, Ne. for quilt guild meeting. It is a unique place for out of the ordinary items. Plus I will stop in whenever I can, just to buy the flowers. Hope you get there soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your flowers look pretty! Good bargain you got there! We have a new Trader Joe's in West Des Moines. I enjoy going there as it' such a unique place.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete