JOE CARSON'S GINGER COOKIES
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. ground cloves
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. shortening ( I used butter)
1 cup sugar
2 T. molasses
water & sugar
1. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves.
2. In a large bowl, beat shortening with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the 1 cup of sugar and beat until fluffy.
3. Add egg and molasses. Beat until combines. Add flour mixture and beat on low speed until well combines
4. Shape into 1 1/2" balls. Dip into s small bowl of water and a bowl of additional sugar. (For a lighter coating, just dip in sugar)
5. Arrange balls 3" apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake in 350 degree F. oven for 15 minutes or until light brown on bottoms. Cool the cookies on wire racks. Makes 20 cookies
Footnote: I used a small cookie scoop, it measures 1 1/4" across. I just dipped half the cookie in water and then sugar. I baked about 11-12 minutes and removed from the sheet in just a few minutes. This made about 40 soft and chewy cookies. This recipe came from the Midwest Living Magazine many years ago and has remained one of my all time favorites. I hope you will try them and like them as much as I do. Sew until next time, have a Stitches kind of day.....................................