Here's how I practice my FMQ before I get to an actual fabric piece. I bought a dry erasable board and I sit and doodle several a lot of times, doing this over and over. It helps make a path for my brain to follow when I get to my practice piece, anyway I have myself convinced of that!!
Now you have my practice piece, ta da!! I haven't done any FMQ for a long time so it was like starting from scratch again. I am okay with my leaves but I need to work on making them rounder at the base to look more "heart" like. Not many of mine are "heart" looking but they are recognizable as leaves and that's a plus for me. I didn't take a picture of the back but it looks good, only 1 little nest and otherwise, the stitches are fine. I used DMC in the bobbin and King Tut 40 weight in the top and a 14/90 Microtex needle. I had trouble with my machine stopping now and then and the bobbin icon coming up on the screen. I took the bobbin out and put it back in several times and never did figure out what the problem was. At first, I tried using one of those bobbin mylar inserts and that just didn't work for me. If it happens again, I will need to do some further investigating maybe or call the Bernina store. I plan to make the Sampler Quilt piece that Sew Cal Gal has on her blog, it will be a good reference in the future. I hope everyone is having as good experience with this challenge as I am and I hope to improve my FMQ a lot in 2012..Sew until next time, have a Stitches kind of day.